Course learning outcomes
By completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Determine appropriate teaching strategies for a range of clinical settings and learners
2. Identify strategies for addressing barriers to learning in a clinical setting
3. Create a lesson plan, including objectives, activities and assessment
4. Apply the steps of Pendleton’s Feedback Model
5. Determine appropriate assessment strategies for a range of surgical and non-technical skills
6. Effectively evaluate your own teaching practice.
Are you eligible for this course?
FSSE is for anyone involved in teaching or training in a surgical environment.
With the release of the RACS Action Plan, Building Respect and Improving Patient Safety, the Foundation Skills for Surgical Educators course is mandatory for Surgeons who are involved in the training and assessment of RACS SET Trainees.
To determine if you are eligible for an exemption from completing this course, read the Fact Sheet.
Online (4 x eLearning modules plus 1x webinar)
Duration: 7 hours total
Delivery dates and times
|Week 1||eLearning Module 1||Please allow up to 60 minutes to complete|
|Week 2||eLearning Module 2||Please allow up to 60 minutes to complete|
|Week 3||Assessment||Complete Modules 1 & 2; submit Lesson Plan for evaluation (before webinar)|
|Week 4||eLearning Module 3||Allow up to 60 minutes to complete; Modules 1-3 must be completed before attending the webinar|
|Week 5||Webinar||Role plays: 'Delivering Feedback' (90 minutes)|
|Week 6||eLearning Module 4||Please allow up to 60 minutes to complete|
See webinar dates and times for more information.
|Course commencement||Webinar dates and times|
|Monday 5 February 2024||Wednesday 6 March 2024, 6:00pm – 8:00pm AEDT|
|Monday 24 June 2024||Thursday 25 July 2024, 6:00pm – 8:00pm AEST|
|Monday 29 July 2024||Wednesday 28 August 2024, 6:00pm – 8:00pm AEST|
|Monday 14 October 2024||Thursday 14 November 2023, 6:00pm – 8:00pm AEDT|
- FREE for College members (Fellows, Trainees or Specialist International Medical Graduates within the College).
- A$600 or NZ$645 for non-members of the College
*All values include GST
Completing this course will entitle participants to 7 CPD points.
Main RACS competency addressed
- Scholarship and teaching
Register here (login required)