March 2022 update
The demand for EMST courses remains high, this is due to course cancellations throughout 2020 and 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The majority of 2022 EMST courses are now full. Any remaining places will be prioritised for SET Trainees and SIMGs.
We invite you to submit an expression of interest (EOI) for 2022 course reserve lists only.
To submit your EOI please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Full name
- RACS ID
- Graduation date/PGY level
- Up to six course codes (eg P1699)
For a list of scheduled courses, please view the EMST 2022 course schedule (PDF 35.58KB).
You will receive confirmation from a Skills Training team member when you have been added to a reserve list place. Please allow up to five working days for a response
Please note due to the complexities presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) recommends all applicants to attend a local course where possible. Some regions are limited on course offerings and when required RACS will prioritise local attendees in these regions. Please note RACS may contact an applicant to discuss their course place if registered to a course outside their region, and the applicant may be asked to withdraw from the course.
If you would like to be kept up to date with 2022 course information please join the Skills Training Mailing List.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
RACS is committed to ensuring that participants health and safety is the top priority of running any event, which includes adhering to any local, state, and federal laws, policies and restrictions, both in Australia and New Zealand. Due to the complex evolving nature of these laws and restrictions, RACS may be required to cancel a course at any time leading up to the event.
Types of courses
- The Provider course is for first-time participants and is two and a half days in duration.
- The Refresher course is for those who have completed a provider course within the last five to six years and is one and a half days in duration.
- The ADF course runs similarly to a standard provider course and is only available to ADF personnel.
EMST 10th Edition
- Interactive discussions and scenario-based teaching
- More time at new skill stations
- eLearning module including pre-course test and course resources
- Opportunity to network with your peers and local leaders in trauma
- High teacher student ratio (1:2), with a faculty of six to eight trauma experts
- Mentoring: faculty members connect with course participants prior to and throughout the course
- Opportunity to be considered a potential instructor (nominated at course by the faculty)
- The RACS EMST program is recognised internationally for its high quality and provides unique instructor training and support programs to faculty.