For prevocational doctors
- There is unrestricted access and unlimited attempts of the GSSE for prevocational doctors who meet the eligibility criteria.
- The GSSE is held for Prevocational candidates in February, June and October each year.
- All Specialty Training Boards have mandated successful completion of the GSSE as a Surgical Education and Training (SET) selection criterion.
- Passing the GSSE does not guarantee selection onto a SET program.
- Please see the Conduct of the Generic Surgical Science Examination for Prevocational Doctors policy for full details.
For SET Trainees
- The GSSE must be completed within two active clinical years of commencing any SET program and in no more than four attempts; failing to complete this examination will result in dismissal. Individual specialty training regulations will provide relevant information.
- Only the February and June examinations are available to SET Trainees. The October examination is not open to SET Trainees.
- Please see Conduct of the SET Generic Surgical Science Examination Policy for full details.