Information and updates
Fact sheets and reports
- Fact sheet on discrimination, bullying and sexual harassment (PDF 1.04MB)
- Fact sheet on victimisation (PDF 1.03MB)
- Recognising and responding to sexual harassment
- Building Respect and Improving Patient Safety frequently asked questions (PDF 651KB)
Reports and presentations
- Breaking barriers; developing drivers for female surgeonssurvey report (PDF 2.92MB)
- Ardnell report (PDF 4.97MB) – Final report: A study exploring the reasons for & experiences of leaving surgical training. The Ardnell Group. 2016
- Phase 1 Evaluation: Building Respect Improving Patient Safety (PDF 2.5MB): Evaluation of implementation of RACS Action Plan: Building Respect, Improving Patient Safety
- Gender in Surgery: An Exploration of Biases Affecting Surgeons, Trainees and Patients (PDF 357.43KB). Katrina Hutchinson, Macquarie
Publications and peer reviewed articles
Read more in publications and peer reviewed literature.
Boothman RC. Breaking through dangerous silence to tap an organization’s richest source of information: its own staff. Joint Commission journal on quality and patient safety. 2016 Apr 1;42(4):147-8.
Cooper WO, Martinez W, Domenico HJ, Callahan ST, Kirkby BP, Finlayson AJ, Foster JJ, Johnson TM, Longo FM, Merrill DG, Jacobs ML. Unsolicited patient complaints identify physicians with evidence of neurocognitive disorders. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2018 Sep 1;26(9):927-36.
Cooper WO, Spain DA, Guillamondegui O, Kelz RR, Domenico HJ, Hopkins J, Sullivan P, Moore IN, Pichert JW, Catron TF, Webb LE. Association of coworker reports about unprofessional behavior by surgeons with surgical complications in their patients. JAMA surgery. 2019 Jun 19.
Catron T, Guillamondegui O, Karrass J, Cooper W, Martin B, Dmochowski R et al. Patient complaints and adverse surgical outcomes. American Journal of Medical Quality. 2016;31(5):415-422.
Hickson GB, Federspiel CF, Pichert JW, Miller CS, Gauld-Jaeger J, Bost P. Patient complaints and malpractice risk. Jama. 2002 Jun 12;287(22):2951-7
Hickson GB, Moore IN, Pichert JW, Benegas M. Balancing systems and individual accountability in a safety culture. In: Berman S. From Front Office to Front Line: Essential Issues for Health Care Leaders. 2nd Edition. Oakbrook Terrace, ILL: Joint Commission Resources; 2012. p. 1-36.
Hultman CS, Gwyther R, Saou MA, Pichert JW, Catron TF, Cooper WO, Hickson GB. Stuck in a moment: an ex ante analysis of patient complaints in plastic surgery, used to predict malpractice risk profiles, from a large cohort of physicians in the patient advocacy reporting system. Annals of plastic surgery. 2015 Jun 1;74:S241-6.
Liang R, Dornan T, Nestel D. Why do women leave surgical training? A qualitative and feminist study. The Lancet. 2019 Feb 9;393(10171):541-9.
Webb LE, Dmochowski RR, Moore IN, Pichert JW, Catron TF, Troyer M, Martinez W, Cooper WO, Hickson GB. Using coworker observations to promote accountability for disrespectful and unsafe behaviors by physicians and advanced practice professionals. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2016 Apr 1;42(4):149-61.
See also: Operating With Respect Face-to-Face Course reading list (Members only)